Sitting at my desk and I look up to read one of my Christian pick up line pictures. It has a very handsome gentleman on it and reads; "hey girl, you make me feel like Samson with hi hair cut off: weak in he knees." I can't help but laugh. Naturally as a girl I think about the opposite sex from time to time. As a social work major we talk about social behavior in most of my classes. Today my professor said something that rang in my ear. He talked about how as humans we have the need for some sort of intimacy. Now hold your horses, I know what you are probably thinking. Don't worry, I am not talking about the s-e-x lecture. His statement did get me thinking though. Especially more on the female end as well. So many girls give themselves over to the "dark side", if you will, because they have the need for love and attention. For some girls it is just the need to be close to someone emotionally, others just need to cuddle next to someone during a movie, the rest go to the more drastic end of that spectrum. I was thinking about it from my stand point though. I am one of those girls who is kind of needy. I am not afraid to admit it. Coming from the fact that I've never had a boyfriend, I don't have a stable relationship where I can get that sort of attention. Luckily, I have some of the best guy friends in the world. I am emotionally close to one of them and can depend on him to open up to me which meets the need of emotional intimacy. Another one of my guy friends doesn't mind the fact that I like to lean on him during a movie. All my needs are meant and I don't have to give in to the temptations of our world today. There is a bit of the problem with the last point though. Here at my school if you are seen close to the opposite sex than boom! you are automatically dating. I still haven't figured out the fact that it doesn't have to be this way. Just because I have close guy friends does not mean that I have feelings for them or plan on dating them. Tomorrow night I am going to a dance with one of my guy friends. I asked him to be my date. This does not mean that I am in love with him and I am already picking out my wedding dress. Just two people going to have a crazy fun night. It is a tad frustrating that people just assume that I am dating someone because I am close to them either physically or emotionally. As many guy fiends as I have if people assumed that I had a thing with all of them then I am pretty sure I would be considered some very colorful names. Now, confession, I assume the wrong things too sometimes. By no means am I perfect. Just last night I assumed that one of my new freshman guy friends was one of those guys that can't get passed a girls looks when it comes to dating. I was very wrong. Moral of this venting session: to the ladies- girls, please don't feel like you have to give up your body just to be close to a guy. If that is the only connection you can make with him, then maybe you should be looking in another direction. To my gentleman- it is okay to be close to the girls in your life. Just make sure you both know where the other stands so that you aren't leading each other on if other feelings were to be developed, but please, be close to them. Show them how they should be treated. To everyone- don't assume the worst because you know what happens when you assume...
-j
No comments:
Post a Comment