Thursday, July 18, 2013
Camp Counselor Probz
My life consists of Chaco tan lines, wearing shorts over bathing suits, ponytails with bandannas, and screaming children. Do I care that my life is hectic? No. Why? Because I love my job. You see this summer I wanted a fun job. I wanted to job I wouldn't be sitting behind a desk all day killing myself. But I never foresaw the job as a camp counselor. I wake up at six in the morning and don't go to bed until around ten. I don't get much sleep and the pay isn't the greatest but one thing makes it worth it. My kids are my life. I was so unsure about a major in a field that was going to be working with a lot of kids, but now I am certain that kids are going to be my life. I've learned that it takes a brave soul to be the small screaming boxes of enthusiasm all day long. I know that it's hard explaining to a child why he's not playing fairly. I've realized what it's like to wipe away tears of joy and tears of sadness. I've had to play the bad cop in the good cop. I don't wear make up and my hair is always in the same ponytail. I swept through shirts like army uniforms in the desert. I've never been so uncomfortable my whole entire life. Seeing a child smile going down the water slide makes it all worth it. My parents really want me to get a better job that pays much more so that I can afford to live on my own, but here's the thing for me it doesn't matter about money anymore it matters whether a child is learning that they were saying by the grace of God. I've considered looking at other jobs next year, but I really don't think I could pass up another year at Spring Hill. I made so many amazing friends this summer. And luckily I get three more weeks with them. I can't imagine my life without them. I love my bosses. I hear so many people complaining about how awful their bosses are. Mine are crazy and fine I love getting involved with me, the other counselors, and the kids. I might be 20 years old but on Monday through Friday I am whenever the kids need me to be. On Wednesdays I'm a fairy princess, on Fridays I'm their best friend. On Monday I'm a new adventure for them. The little ones pull my hair, punch me, fight against me, but I love them more than anything in this world. Have I mentioned lately that I love my job? I've had to experience tan lines I never wanted, hair falling out left and right, acne, sweat in places I didn't know existed, but a love for God that I will never forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment