Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Favorite Kind of Date

I would like to start off today by giving a shout out to my camo hat. If it weren't for you, camo hat, people would have to actually see what my hair looks like when I don't have time to straighten it. Moving on...

So, I'm sure you saw the title and are thinking 'Oh, maybe I will get some fun date ideas.' Yea, it's not what you think. I have been single for 19 years and I have come to the realization that I am totally okay with that. I'm sure my Knight in Shining Armor is stuck in traffic somewhere. Here it is. My favorite kind of date is...*drum roll please*; a not so double date. I have two friends who are basically dating without the titles. (Shout out to Matt and Kayley). So, in the beginning my friend James and I were trying to get them used to dating without just throwing them together and shoving them off on their own. What did we do? We tagged along. James' relationship situation is uber complicated and my heart is sort of torn between a couple things so we aren't the ones who are dating; just to clarify. The catch is, we leave the date planning to the boys. We don't want any part of it. The first time, they took us mini golfing and to a nice dinner. The second time was late night dollar theater to see Wreck it Ralph. Great movie by the way! Our last date is coming up Saturday night and the boys are already planning. I'm not here to discuss my weekend plans though. Here at my school we have the ring by spring campaign. As young women of Christ we are expected to find a husband and start poppin out kids like yesterday. They encourage you to find your mate and start your new life with them. As a young freshmen I was emailed within the first month about pre-marital counseling. Yea, I was a little shocked. Times have changed. What is wrong with a single lady?!? Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait to meet the man that can handle all of this, but I am okay being single. Getting to go out and see a couple together being happy while I spend time with the greatest guy friend I have ever had in my life is the happiest time in my life. I couldn't ask for a better not so date. One of these days it will be real, but we are all having way to much fun for now. Here on campus it is impossible to be alone with someone of the opposite sex and not be defined as a couple. I recently went to a fancy event on campus where the guys wear suits and the girls wear gowns. I looked real good, I would just like to throw that in there. Anywho, I had a date. My good friend Jonathan. Ladies, he is available and super sweet. Back on track; we are good friends, but I have had several people ask me if we are dating. Uh, that's a negative ghost rider. I am constantly going somewhere with James alone. We are friends and like spending time together. We. Are. Not. A. Couple. Who made the rule that if you are alone with someone you are automatically dating? I wonder if that person has ever been alone with someone from the opposite sex. Moral of the story; ladies, it is okay to have just guy friends and a message to both sexes, don't feel pressured to get married any time soon if you don't feel like it. Make sure it is on God's time, not societies. Okay, that rant is over. Continue...

Couples are everywhere now a days. I walk into the lobby of my dorm and boom! every couch is packed with kissing faces and held hands. Walking around campus are lots of inseparable soul mates. Young minds are getting engaged left and right. Literally, a girl I was friends with first semester freshmen year is now planning her wedding as a sophomore. Everyone back home is planning their special day as well. My best friend back home probably won't be getting married too soon, but she does have a significant other. My two best friends here at school both have their own men. I am so happy for them, but let me tell ya, if third wheeling was a job I would be the CEO. To end my pointless paragraph this morning I would like to give a campus wide service announcement. If you are making out in front of the card door when I am trying to go back to my room, I will make it awkward for you. If you are laying on top of each other on the couches, I probably will judge you...no offense. And this whole Ring by Spring thing. Yo, college, let us live our lives as free as we want. If we don't leave here with a ring don't be offended. It is probably us and not you. Well, like every other relationship, let's be honest; it probably is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment